Saturday, June 02, 2007

Boring Yet Captivating.


It is the 2nd of June 2007. Half a year zoomed by. How are you feeling bout it? Time flies huh. Anyway, I was reading an entry in a blog and it got me laughing like a person who got a sniff of laughing-like-crap gas. hehehe.. Sorry peeps, i'm not sharing whose blog it belongs to because I dont feel like it. yea, call me selfish! ehehehe..

ANYHOOOOOOOOOOO....


My dad's back from Abu Dhabi. =) I did not realise how much I missed him till last night. We were sitting down in my ama's garden in Malacca last nite, gazing at the dazzling stars and the beautiful brightly litted full moon, cool breeze graced passed our faces, while drinking chinese tea with Newton's Universal Law of Gravity, F= GxMxm ÷ d² as our conversation.
Do you know that, the light from the stars that we see is considered as history? What we see with our naked eye is light emitted billion years ago. Because light travels at a large but finite speed, it takes time for light to cover large distances.A light-year is a unit of distance. It is the distance that light can travel in one year. Light moves at a velocity of about 300,000km each second. So in one year, it can travel about 10 trillion km. More precisely, one light-year is equal to 9,500,000,000,000 kilometers (this is what you learn in physics!). Thus, when we see the light of very distant objects in the universe, we are actually seeing light emitted from them a long time ago. We see them literally as they were in the distant past. The most distant things that astronomers can see are about 18,000,000,000 light years away. Thus, the light that we presently see from these objects began its journey to us about 18 billion years ago. Since that is close to the estimated age of the Universe, this light is a kind of "fossil record" of the Universe not long after its birth!

hahahaa.. Yep, our conversation revolved around that too. Pretty interesting, ay? Might sound like an instant sleeper for you. As for me, I find it captivating especially when I have this kind of conversation with my dad. = )

Daddy's going back next week and wont be coming back till 365 days later, no thanks to his new company he's working for. boo. ah well,.. nothing can be done.. I love my dad lots! =) and my mummy toooooooooooo!



-Welcome to my family-
Pic was taken during my dad's birthday last year.

5 comments:

m1nglu3n said...

what an intellectual post... haha you gonna replace ramli jaya and start teaching physics soon?

Shwe Ying The Great said...

who is ramli jaya?? =P

m1nglu3n said...

hehe some sucky physics lecturer la... :)

Shwe Ying The Great said...

uniten punyer kar?

m1nglu3n said...

yeppers uniten hehe :) lucky you didnt have to endure him